Monday, May 18, 2009

Adam Sandler thought me some things


Who could imagine I'd cry in an Adam Sandler movie?

Well I did.

Twice.

I'll just mention one here - the relatively-unknown "Reign Over Me" that starred Sandler and Don Cheadle. I'd not read the reviews, so I'd no expectations whatsoever of it. I expected a funny movie - just the thing to destress me, rather than distress.
Synopsis went along the lines of how Adam had lost his family in the 9-11 incident and was in denial mode on it - refusing to talk about his grief but showing nonchalance in its place. It seemed heartless, uncouth, cold somehow... so his best friend Don tries to get him to come to terms with the harsh reality.
It wasn't a funny movie.
Later, we discovered why Adam refused to talk about his loss. And it was because he didn't want to face his regret - that his last words to his late wife weren't kind, and that he had no way to take them back.
That stunned me. Shook me to the core.
On that day, before I came home, I'd fought with a friend. Had said some harsh words and we both went back angry.
If either one of us had been taken away that day, what would our last words have been?
Since that day, I've resolved not to go to bed angry; to do whatever it takes to end the day well. I've tried to take every opportunity to remind the people around me how much they mean to me, how much I appreciate their being in my life.
Today is one of those days.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

one word...*WOW* =)
~jccy

~ Jules ~ said...

=)

I KNOW. Felt so stupid that I cried. What's more, the other Adam Sandler movie that made me tear up inside was "Click".

Sigh. I've mellowed already???