Friday, November 14, 2008

Dr. Jekyll's Prayer

Lord, stop the bleed
When my heart is shattered
When my skin is cut trying to pick up the pieces
Past hurts, forgotten tears, bitter memories
All come flooding back, hurting me afresh.

God, stop the bleed
When everything is so unsure, and things don't go as planned
When fingers and daggers of torment tear at my flesh
When my blood gushes out and I want to stop it
But I don't know how.

Lord, stop the bleed
When I see failure in my own eyes
When nothing is perfect and it cuts me deep.

God, stop the bleed
When I'm weak and defeated
When my spirit is low, dejected
My soul seeping out of my veins with every ragged breath.

Lord, stop the bleed
For I fear that it may not
And everything I have known, touched and loved
Becomes no more.

2 comments:

Samuel said...

Sometimes we have to let it bleed; think about what's hurting us, work things out in our minds, deal with it. Only then can the bleed dry into a scab.

All we have to do then is resist the temptation to pick at the scab.

~ Jules ~ said...

It does take a lot of restraint to let the scab begin its long healing process. I know I can't do it alone - I've not been able to.

Yet we know we have to deal with it; I fear bringing it to my grave, and regretting the bitterness, hurt and anger at my deathbed when it's too late.

I guess everyday is a lesson - when we see the scab or the scar, we're reminded of that which we've gone thru, and what we've learnt from it. And if we see others with similar scars, we reach out and tell them, "I understand."