Saturday, September 15, 2007

Space, Solitude, Strength

I am a lover and respecter of space.

I demand space when the whirlwind that is city life prevents me from hearing my thoughts. I yearn for time alone when I need a break from all the stresses I face. And sometimes my whole being yells for breathable air when it feels choked, stifled, broken...

Uncle Soo Inn speaks of physical distance as 'very helpful for the journey of individuation.'* I concur. Being away from everyone has a way of making a person look inward and thoroughly examine one's principles, which would probably lead to better decisions. (Well, at least, to make decisions based on one's convictions - not a bad thing, is it?)

I imagine, that those who see me as a "greet-everybody bounce-off-the-walls" person may not be able to comprehend, that I am also not afraid to be alone, quiet, by myself. To me, such a time is precious... not labelled as loneliness, but solitude.

Free to think, free to write, free to express.

At home, during my solitude, I will sit at the piano, not knowing what I am going to play. Sometimes I take a few quiet moments... I will play only when I want to. And when I do, it usually is a mournful tune. I know not what the next chord and note will be, but when I play it, it feels right. Oftentime it will lead me to a wild crescendo, as if fully seizing the opportunity to convey the breadth and depth of whatever I'm feeling inside... Too soon, the song ends, and I catch my breath...

... When I have my space, I have my precious moments of solitude... and from those moments of solitude, I draw from within a deep sense of strength, to help me withstand life and move on.

*Grace at Work, "Sons and Fathers", Feb 2007.

No comments: