Sunday, June 28, 2009

There'll only be one King of Pop



Yeah he was weird.
And quirky.
And unsure of himself sometimes.
So yeah he was not everyone's cup of tea.
Critics denounced his lyrics, his dance moves, his everything.

But no one can deny that there was no other musician and entertainer as great, talented, and genuine as Michael Jackson. We all know he was thrust into the limelight since he was 11 years old - forced to mature at a tender age. It's uncanny, somehow, that as he grew older, he also became more childlike in demeanour.

Therein belied his tendency to make himself vulnerable to the world through his songs. He was unafraid to express everything he felt: joy, sorrow, hurt, anger. This was a guy that embraced the breadth of his emotions, and gave each of them a voice; it was a "take-it-or-leave-it, it's-all-me" act everytime. He gave his best in every instance - it showed in every concert, every music video.

Amidst all the groundbreaking dance moves, the high-pitched "hee-hee" and other mannerisms, I admire Michael Jackson most because he dared to bare his soul to us all. At the end of the day, like everyone else, he just wanted to be loved for everything that he was. The outpouring of love at his death from fans worldwide more than encapsulates the extent to which he impacted the people with his songs.

It takes a truly brave person to show his strengths and weaknesses, and beg to be loved for who he is. The one who loves is surely loved in return. We will always remember you, Michael. Thank you for your gift, for who you are.


In my darkest hour
In my deepest despair
Will you still care
Will you be there
In my trials
And tribulations
There are doubts
And frustrations

In my violence
And the turbulence
To my fear, and my confessions

In my anguish and my pain
To my joy and my sorrow
In the promise of another tomorrow

I'll never let you part
for you are always in my heart

~~ "Will You Be There," Michael Jackson, 2006


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: