Thursday, June 11, 2009

Give the small ones a chance

Small kids.
Small ideas.
Small companies.

They all deserve a chance too. They wanna grow too; and they can't do it alone.

I recall very vividly a relative that practically wrinkled her nose and said to me, "You always have a knack for finding these small companies, don't you?" (She probably doesn't remember that remark now, but help me, I still do, after all these years.)

Yes, even I've heard it all before - big companies mean greater stability, greater perks, greater this and that. Fair enough, I say, they have deep coffers to pick out and dole out goodies from.

But even big companies today started small, didn't they? I mean, logically...

I've worked in small-medium enterprises for the most part of my 8-year work stint thus far. Both shed light on the do's and don'ts of business dealings; I may not have seen it all, but I think I've gleaned some insights in various things - dealing with nice/difficult clients, competent/lousy suppliers, helpful/bribeworthy officials, inculcating teamwork, facing-off competition, (and being COPIED by them!), crossing hurdles, facing stumbling blocks, strategizing furiously, hitting back, emerging victorious.

I guess I'm also blessed to be working with a superior who recognizes work and rewards accordingly. That has made everything quite bearable; even the most stressful periods.

I wish I could tell the graduates and would-be graduates that working for the SMEs can be rewarding too. That the end-to-end experience really does give you that bird's eye-view of things. That some places DO match (or pay higher) than the MNC equivalent. That by being part of a SME, you are in position to play a pivotal role in its journey to become the market leader, the regional player.

Give it a chance, will ya? It's not all that bad.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: