Thursday, April 24, 2008

A "2-in-1" day

That date used to hold so much significance for me. I've recalled the occasion everyday for 9 years, always sending a greeting via sms, or making that once-a-year phonecall. There's always that same cheery camaraderie that welcomes me on the other end; a hearty "how have you been", "are you still working too hard" and "have you found him yet" type of questions. I'd prefer to believe that he is just being polite, more than being concerned about me, and it suits me fine. I'd rather have that than hold a 'never be able to talk to you' stance, and it's nice to be able to pick up the friendship where you left off. I fault him not at all. It was mutual. And we were young, too young. But oh, the benchmarks...

On that same date, from this year onwards, and from miles and miles across the ocean, there will be another occasion to celebrate. This would mark the point of no return, and I'm genuinely happy at the way things have worked themselves out. I could not ask for more, and I pray for them to be the support for each other as God intended them to be. I'll be able to tell them that in person about a month from now. I'm honoured to be a part of their celebration, despite the short stint we shared.

This means that that date will hold double significance for me. Well, not so much for me, because it is of no personal consequence... but some things will stick to my mind as a stubborn reminder of the things I've gone through in my life, the beautiful people I've met, and how grateful I am to have had the pleasure of their company in different phases of my journey. I've been blessed by their love and friendship, and though they may not know it, they have influenced my life in more ways than they thought they did.

It's all good. I'm happy. =)

One day, two events, one name. Life is just so weird that way.

No comments: