Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Juwita and Friends


Caught the all-awesome Juwita Suwito LIVE at Alexis Ampang over the weekend. Words aren't enough to describe this vocal powerhouse who mesmerised me for those 2 hours. This little lady had spunk, pizzazz, showmanship, the works.

Above all, she had soul. The black gospel type that makes you gape when she did trills and vocal somersaults in a manner so effortless it seemed almost illegal that anyone was allowed to make it look that easy.

Watching her belt contemporary hits the way only Juwita can... now that was really somethin' to remember. She added life to Avril Lavigne's "When You're Gone"; did a surprisingly-cute rendition of Rihanna's "Umbrella"; gave it her all for Alicia Keys' "If It Ain't You." Then there were old favourites: "Put Your Record On" ... "Ain't No Mountain High Enough"... A gorgeous medley of Kris Dayanti's "Menghitung Hari" and another Malay song... And of course, her own songs too: "Walking Again" and "Only In The Dark..." (Good stuff, and I'm not being biased.)

More than once I had goosebumps of the good kind; more than once I turned to my girlfriend, stunned speechless. I had read about Juwita's flawless technique, emo-ness and stage presence. Seeing it for myself... made me wanna pinch myself, you know?

Felt almost bad for not paying cover charge for a performance this great / fantastic / phennnnnomenal / all of the above. (There was no cover, not that I sneaked in; thank you very much.)

... The best part? She was so down to earth. No kidding. Greeted her after the show was done and jogged her memory and hey before you know it she joined us for chamomile tea with her mum and we were laughing and chatting all the way to our cars. Now I know why all her pix have her grinning impishly!!! But truly, it was really really awesome (I'm runnin' outta words here) to see her live. Believe me I'll probably be watching out for her next gig and telling you guys and gals about it!

.... Oh oh OH - the other best part? I was there with a friend so dear that she should qualify as my relative by now. Thanks, Phylls. Here's to more great times!! *hugs!!*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh wished i was there :)

Sarah.... said...

I so wish I was there too! And you're absolutely right: Juwita is so down-to-earth and humble. What a wonderful example she is.