Tuesday, January 02, 2007

What's it REALLY about?

It's not about how soft my hands are, but how they can render help, give a soothing touch.

Not about how big my eyes are, but whether they choose to see the needs of others.

Not about the size of my feet, but if they are swift enough to be beside those who need someone to be with them.

Not about the chubbiness of my arms, but whether they are willing to give a hug to one who needs it.

It's not about how pouty my lips can be, but whether they choose to speak words of encouragement, share words of comfort, and evermore proclaim the wonderful works of my Master.

I distinctly remember that at 10 years old, I told God that I'd rather have inner beauty than to be physically pretty. I'm not sure why I was so convicted then (!) ... but I certainly do know that I still hold fast to that belief now. Outer beauty is fleeting, but inner beauty radiates, and shows the true value, the most beautiful character, of a person.

As we enter the new year, I hope that I'll use all I have and all I am to touch the lives of others, bring a smile to their faces, and a glow to their hearts. And I pray that God's name may be glorified. That's what it's all about.

8 comments:

Sarah.... said...

Now I'm beginning to wonder if every ten-year-old girl prays for beauty. My mum once told me that when she was around that age, she used to beg the gods she worshipped then to make her really really pretty (physically). At least you had the maturity to ask for what was more important. For me? Ten-year-old Sarah was just a greedy pig: "God, pweese make me beautiful BOTH inside AND outside!" Hehe...but now I know what really counts.

noelocs said...

Haha, 10-year-old Noel was just playing in the mud still.

Phylli said...

Ten years old Phylli asked God to make the time faster for her. hee... I think she wanna grow up, but i guess now she thinks being grown up isnt really that easy. 10 years old... she was amazed by how God created her eyes, how they work and she thought they create images!

Phylli said...

oh wow! that was the picture that i took when we were in chilli's! hee...

Anonymous said...

Sarah, to be honest with you, I'd guessed that inner beauty would probably enhance the outer one so...

Noel, I never quite understood why boys liked to play in the mud! Were you serious? Oh the poor mummy...

And Phylli, yes, it was the picture taken at Chili's =) Interesting that you were so aware of the concept of time at that age...

Well well well... looks like this post sparked a branch-topic! So, ladies and gentlemen, what were YOU up to when you were 10?

Anonymous said...

10 year old Wendell was... enjoying a happy, carefree and pampered life. Gone are those days...

Anonymous said...

ten years old? what was i doing then?....

Anonymous said...

as a famous person once said...

Beauty is only skin deep...

but ugly is right down to the bone!.. :P