Tuesday, August 25, 2009

"You're the maddest person in this room"

The room suddenly fell silent.
My heart went still.
Surely I misheard him?
Someone mumbled, "Huh?"

Quite deliberately, yet in a slightly-offhandish way, he said:

"I think you're the maddest person in this group. The most art-bent. The world needs eccentrics every now and then."

"What gave me away?" I asked, unsure how best to respond.

He shrugged. "I don't know. A twitch, perhaps."

-- Look, had that comment come from a totally-ordinary person on the street, I'd have immediately noticed the slight sneer in that tone, or the wrinkled-nose of disgust that usually accompanies such a statement. Heck such labels are not new to me.

But to have elicited that comment from a total stranger who happened to be a brilliant musician - the multi-talented type who plays the five-string double bass, mandolin, piano, piano-accordion and guitar, the type who makes every instrument he picks up SING - ....

I actually felt liberated.

I felt a glow deep within me.

SO.

I'm a certifed mad, weird, and eccentric person.

I have a right to keel towards the arts and love the music I make and hear; to do whatever it takes to express that which I feel inside - be it laugh, dance, or cry.

I'm mad, and proud of it =)

p.s. - Lord, how would You use this mad person?
p.p.s. - Thank you Rod Gear :) You made my weekend. http://www.sonsofkorah.com/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 comments:

weeLee said...

i need some of that madness too...

anyway, there you heard it from the musician. now go out there and change the world!

~ Jules ~ said...

Wakaka... Yeah man! I have my license!