Tuesday, November 21, 2006

1% Inspiration, 99% Perspiration...

A bunch of us opted to attend a songwriting workshop last Saturday. As preparation, we were to write approximately 2 songs per person. No sweat, we figured. We write stuff everyday, (it's also a major part of my job), so 2 songs should be like eating slices of secret recipe banana chocolate. Just structure them (the words, not cake slices) into song formats and voila~!

There was just one teeny-weeny problem. I needed inspiration.

Found none. For days. Mind was either blank, too exhausted, or simply undecided on which message to convey. Yet I couldn't write for the sake of writing... My whole being just would not allow it.

Days passed. Fellow songwriters shared their jubilation when they completed one, then 2 songs. I was quite impressed, and really liked their ideas. And felt layer after layer of pressure mounting on my heart, clouding my brain. "Where's your song, Jules? What is your heartsong?"

... Slowly, surely, somewhat surprisingly, they began to emerge from the shadows.

The first kinda 'dropped in' while I was driving back to my condo after our first "share-a-song" session. The result? "Bila," - lyrics in the post just before this. I myself was a little incredulous when the words came tumbling out in Malay. "Lagu Melayu? Biar betul!" ... But it worked. It was my heart's cry. I knew it had to start off sounding melancholic, then build up in pitch and volume as a declaration of praise. Friends have even suggested their preferred Malay singers to sing this one. Haha, don't I wish. *small smile* So, one down. *pat pat*

... After that, dry. Alamak. How ah? *panic panic*

Friday, (day before workshop), 3 p.m. I was running about in the office when a line popped in my head: "I'm unworthy to be in Your presence, Lord." It stopped me short. I HAD to write it down. In the midst of my business I think I could only come up with 4 lines, and an incomplete chorus. I had no idea what the song should sound like, and so was quite prepared to shelve this one for another time.

Little did I know that 12 hours later, at 3 a.m., in Hotel Shalom-YY, "Unworthy" would be a complete, moderately-fast number. I have to credit WLern and fellow witnesses Sarah, Phylli and WLee for this one! Not forgetting our gracious hosts for creating a cosy and conducive environment!! *big grins and mad applause all around!!*

So there you go, 2 songs done in time for the workshop. *phew*

Ps Wah Lok was right. It's more perspiration than inspiration. God just needs to touch you, just once - *plink* - and then the rest is a labour of love.

But, oh, what joyful trouble indeed.

8 comments:

Sarah.... said...

Hehehe...I just couldn't stop grinning when I read this post! You did such a great job with both songs, and it was a privilege to goyang kaki, sit and stare while your second song was being "produced" at 3am!

We should visit Hotel Shalon-YY more often for sleepover parties, ya? It seems to be the perfect place for inspiration, and if we keep going there, we'll be bound to come up with an entire album=)

~ Jules ~ said...

Hehe, goyang kaki, it seems! It was a fun experience overall... Perhaps we should suggest to the owners of Hotel Shalom-YY to create a "Songwriters' Alcove" so that we may produce more works of creative inspiration... Can we, huh? huh? huh? huh? *blink blink*

Sarah.... said...

Yeah, can we? Huh, Sharon? Sharon, are you reading this? =)

Phylli said...

whoa!! hehhe, phylli go with the flow... sharon YY, can we can we??? *blink blink and blink!*

Anonymous said...

Yup, sure> A song-writer's alcove, eh? Sounds good! You guys r welcome over anytime for the song-writers inspiration slumber party.. =))

Anonymous said...

Err... by the way, that was me. Errm. Sharon. =)

Phylli said...

Yay!!!!.. I hardly came out with a song lar I guess, but I enjoyed the time for witnessing the production of "unworthy"

Sarah.... said...

Yay! The hotel owner replies! Sharon, you and YY have been such blessings to us musicians!

Julia, your blog is very happening now!! =)