Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Oh the foolish thoughts of man!

Paraphrasing the words of my friend, the Lightning:

Give a man some fame, he thinks he is the most charasmatic person.
Give a man some fortune, he thinks he owns the world.
Give a man some power, he may think he rules over us all.
Sigh.

Watching a person turn corrupt and power-hungry before your very eyes is quite a horrible thing to see. From being content to be the back-end supporter, the person in question had suddenly become an attention-lusting freak - much like how an insanely-jealous girlfriend/boyfriend seeks to hog the limelight all the time, without a thought for the partner's feelings and needs. I feel quite sick to the stomach.

I hope that I shall never be like that one day. I'm quite happy being the way I am - exerting influence in my current position - and though I'm not exactly jostling for power, I hope that when I do progress, I shall never allow that power to corrupt me and make me think that I'm better than others, so much so that I crush others. For we are called to lead, guide, and build lives, never to destroy those under our care.

Coming back to the illustration earlier, I can't help but think of Psalm 8:4:
"What is man that you are mindful of him,
the son of man that you care for him?"

p.s.: Boss, if you're reading this, please take me to task if and when the time comes.

No comments: